Chicken Dum Biryani Recipe is one such recipe which is loved by everyone in the family. Chicken dum biryani is made by layering fragrant basmati rice over chicken marinated in a rich, delicious mix of spices and yogurt. The ‘dum’ method is used to seal the chicken and rice together to give you perfect, aromatic, irresistible chicken dum biryani. Serve Chicken Dum Biryani with onion raita for Sunday afternoon lunch.
Cooking Time: 120mins
Serving size: 6
- 1kg Chicken with bone
- 4 Cup Basmati Rice
- 3 Onions, sliced thin
- 4 Tomatoes, finely chopped
- 4 Green Chillies, slit at the center
- 20gm Ginger and Garlic paste
- 2 Tablespoon Thillai’s Guntur Chilli Powder
- 2 Tablespoon Thillai’s Nattu Malli Coriander Powder
- 1 Tablespoon Thillai’s Garam Masala Powder
- ½ Cup Coriander Leaves, finely chopped
- ½ Cup Mint Leaves, finely chopped
- Oil as needed
- Ghee as needed
- Salt to taste
- 1 Tablespoon Thillai’s Guntur Chilli Powder
- 1 Teaspoon Thillai’s Erode Turmeric Powder
- Salt as required
Preparation Method For Chicken Dum Biryani
- To begin making the Chicken Biryani recipe, we will first begin with the rice preparation. To cook basmati rice separately, wash and soak the 4 cup basmati rice in water for 20 minutes.
- Meanwhile add about 3 litres of water in a large vessel and bring it to boil.
- Once water starts to boil, add about 1 teaspoon of cooking oil and 1 teaspoon of salt. Add the soaked and drained rice, stir gently once and cook for about 3 to 5mins.
- If rice cooked, drain the water immediately and spread the rice on a large plate.
- In a deep bottomed pan, heat oil on medium flame, add 1 sliced onion and fry it until brown. Remove onion from oil and keep it aside. This will be used for garnishing and to make the layers.
- Clean and wash the chicken thoroughly.
- In a mixing bowl, marinate the 1 kg chicken with thick ½ cup curd, 1 tablespoon Thillai’s Guntur Chili Powder, 1 teaspoonThillai’s Erode Turmeric Powderand salt. Marinate for at least 30 minutes.
- In a large pan, add oil and heat on medium flame, add the remaining 3 sliced onions and saute for 3 minutes or until the onions turn translucent. Next add 20gm ginger-garlic paste and saute till the raw smell goes off.
- Add slit 4 green chilies and mix for a minute.
- Add chopped 4 tomatoes and saute till tomatoes turn slightly mushy. Once the tomatoes are mushy add 2 tablespoon Thillai’s Guntur Chilli Powder, 2 tablespoon Thillai’s Nattu Malli Coriander Powder, 1 tablespoon Thillai’s Garam Masala Powder, salt and saute it for about 2 minutes.
- Add ½ cup of both coriander and mint leaves and mix.
- Finally, add the marinated chicken for the biryani and mix well. Cook until chicken is fully cooked.
- Once chicken is cooked, if you find there is excess water, increase the flame and thicken the masala. We need the masala just to coat the chicken.
- Take a large wide, deep vessel, add ghee and spread it to coat all the bottom and sides of the pan, reduce the flame to low. Add thick chicken biryani masala and spread it all over the bottom.
- Next, add cooked basmati rice over the chicken biryani masala and gently spread the rice to cover the chicken.
- Over the top sprinkle coriander and mint leaves and browned onions and close with a lid.
- Ensure the flame is low and place a heavy weight on top of lid to trap the steam inside to cook the Chicken Dum Biryani recipe. Leave the dum biryani aside for 10 minutes.
- After removing the weight and foil make sure the rice is fluffy
Now serve delicious and hot Chicken Dum Biryani is ready!!!