Sambar is a very popular yet simple south Indian stew. There are many varieties which differ from choice of lentils used to choice of vegetables used. The recipe for traditional Madras sambar using Thillai’s Sambar masala is given below:
Serving size: 4 members
- Wash 150 g of toor dhal / red gram dhal and put in pressure cooker, add 2 – 2 1/2 cup of water and cook until you hear three whistle sounds.
- Soak 10 g or small half lemon size tamarind in half cup of water & make tamarind juice extract.
- In a pan add 2-3 tsp of oil and lightly fry the whole baby onion & Diced drum stick pieces
- Add 2 ½ cup of water, 2 tsp of Thillai’s sambar powder and cook for 5-7 min.
- Now add tamarind juice & boiled dhal mix and cook it for 5 min.
- In a small pan add 1 tsp of oil, little mustard and curry leaves allow to temper, add chopped onion sauté for minute and transfer the tempered mix to the sambar. Garnish with fresh coriander leaves.
- Red gram/ toor dal – 150 gram
- Drumstick – 1 & Tomato – 1
- Shallots/ small/ baby onion – 15 to 20
- Little mustard, curry leaves, coriander leaves
- Chopped onion – 20 gram
- Tamarind – half lemon size
- Thillai’s sambar powder – 2 spoons (13-15 g)
- Water – 5 cups